Friday, June 11, 2004

Homework of reading SHILOH - Chapter 1-7

Chapter 1
Vocabulary:

1. Belly: Belly is between chest and hip. I slap on my belly to show my wife how the supper satisfied me. His bellyful ideas always mean and cruel.
2. Doe, fawn: A deer’s family includes Buck, doe, and fawns, and fawn is usually the symbol color of the deer. Shiloh fawns on Marty because Marty treats him nice.
3. Groundhog: Do you think that Jessie would be kind to tell me what is the difference between groundhog, woodchuck, and marmot? The question has confused me for a long time, because they all have the same explanation in Chinese!
4. Detour: Sometimes detour will go further than straight, especially when we encounter something thorny.
5. Slink: That burglar slinked into the dark shadow and detoured around the lane to escape from the cops’ arrest. Jessie may want to teach me how to use “sneak” and “slink” differently.

Reading response journal:
Chapter 1: Why does Marty think Shiloh hasn’t been treated well?

According to Shiloh’s behaviors in page 3 and 4, “just slinking along with his head down”, “tail between his legs like he’s hardly got the right to breath”, “C’mon, boy, I say, putting out my hand. The dog gets up and backs off. He don’t even whimper, like he’s lost his bark.” and the like. To sum up, the answer exists in the conversation of Marty and his Dad: “Way the dog acts. Scared to pee, almost.” (Page 7)

Comment of Shiloh chapter one:

Usually, chapter one is the hardest part in a storybook, because there often are many names and character relationships have to recognize, and Jessie told us so. In Shiloh, I think the characters’ heavy accent and various slang are the components that once in a while interrupt my enjoyment of reading, though, it’s a whole new experience. Learning English always needs dissimilar background knowledge. My most impressive part in Shiloh chapter one is the debut of Shiloh, the beagle. He is such a poor doggy who everybody could not afford to pity or commiserate him, because of his owner Mr. Judd Travers was not a dog lover and perhaps had ever abused him. Predictably, the mistreatment about animals and the fellowship between Marty and Shiloh will be the trunk of the story’s structure.
Chapter 2


Vocabulary:

1. Stroke: Marty strokes Shiloh all over showing how much he love the dog. I love swimming and can swim in two types, such as free style and frog stroke or breaststroke.
2. Slam: I hear the back screen slam, and Dad comes out on the stoop. He threw his books down with a slam.
3. Heels: I have a blister on my heel because my shoes are too tight.
4. Trailer: He transports his boat by putting it on a trailer behind his car.
5. Howdy: A dialect of south America, which means “How do you do.”



Reading response journal:

Chapter 2: How would you feel if you had to take Shiloh to Judd and leave him there?

I will feel depressing and heartbreaking to leave Shiloh in Judd’s and I would think that my behavior is like pushing Shiloh into hell. Judd is going to abuse Shiloh over and over again! He was such a mean one. Why the Devil like people owned such a little angel like beagle?



Comment of Shiloh chapter two:

Marty put the bad treatment down to Judd Travers’ mean behaviors. Indeed, Judd is selfish, rude, and conscienceless person. In the end of the chapter, also, he tells Marty how he is going to do with the dog. And my most impressive part is the last sentence:” I swallow and swallow, and all the way home I can’t speak a word, trying to hold the tears back.” Marty is a good boy. He listened to his parents to send the dog back to Judd, even though, he is protesting against himself inside.


Chapter 3


Vocabulary:

1. Dwell: They dwelt in London for two years. He dwells in poverty most of his life.
2. Cereal: I have just bought a box of cereal.
3. Route: This is the shortest route from Boston to New York.
4. Scram: Scram sounds like “Get Out!” or “Go Away Immediately!”
5. Shrugs: She shrugged at my suggestion. With a shrug, he went out of the room.



Reading response journal:

Chapter 3: Why doesn’t Judd name his dogs?

First, he may be thought that he will love his dogs if he names them. He likes to treat them in violent way. For example, he likes to kick them, lock them and starve them, as he likes. Second, as a bad guy in this story, how can he perform a dog lover? I won’t accept that, because the story will go boring. ^^a



Comment of Shiloh chapter three:


Marty’s “Shiloh rescue” plan is proceeding with the support from his father and himself. He starts from collecting some aluminum cans for the recycling place and deliver catalog for his father. This is the spirit I respect for. And I think that children should learn to earn what they want badly by themselves, not by yelling and crying over their parents. This is so called: Independence and Maturation.

Chapter 4


Vocabulary:

1. Game warden: a warden is the president of a prison, but Game warden is an officer of hunting.
2. Sheriff: He was elected the sheriff of the county.
3. Whine: The dog is whining out side the door.
4. Creep: She crept into the room and kissed the sleeping child.
5. Leash: Walk a dog on a leash.



Reading response journal:

Chapter 4: Why does Marty get a full night’s sleep for the first time in a long time?

Marty thinks that Shiloh is save now to get together with him, and he imagines how wonderful it is to have Shiloh with him. He will fix as much food as he can for Shiloh, run all over the hill with the dog, and he is never going to let anybody hurt him again ever.


Comment of Shiloh chapter four:


It is the destiny. Shiloh has run away from the pack during Judd Travers has taken his dogs out hunting, and he run to Marty’ house. This is what Marty has dreamed about, of course he won’t let go the chance to have Shiloh with him. He immediately builds a doghouse for Shiloh with delight. He decides to protect the dog and soon he hide him right in the bushes of the hill up his house. An he tell himself:” I know that if I was to see Judd Travers that very minute with his rifle, I’d tell him he’d have to shoot me before I’d ever let him near Shiloh again.”


Chapter 5


Vocabulary:

1. Giggle: The absurd story made her giggle.
2. Ditch: They are digging irrigation ditches.
3. Saucer: She offered me tea in her best cup and saucer.
4. Slobber: The dog commences to slobber love all over Marty.
5. Belch: Dad belches and goes out on the back porch to look at the sky.


Reading response journal:

Chapter 5: Should Marty give Shiloh back to Judd? Explain your thinking.

Shiloh did not belong to Marty when they first meet each other. Besides, Marty knows well that the dog’s owner is Judd Travers. With the two reasons, I am going to take Shiloh to Judd and leave him there if I were Marty, because honesty is always the best policy to a child’s moral development (morality). Perhaps, he feels sad and cannot bear to return Shiloh to Judd, the owner who once mistreated his dog and may be will keep abusing the little poor thing. But just as the story goes, “I will do anything for Shiloh”. And I believe that justice will end up as the winner.


Comment of Shiloh chapter five:


Marty takes care of Shiloh cautiously. In the start of the chapter, the list of his three problems can tell us how serious he is considering the question about keep Shiloh. But soon, there are some scaring things happen. Judd has come, and Marty makes a decision to lie on him, because he is not going to let Judd break Shiloh’s legs. As a reader, I would accept the sort of lie from the protagonist. He in not lying for nonsense, on the contrast, he is lying for justice, for protecting the poverty dog from death.

Chapter 6

Vocabulary:

1. Nibble: She sat down to nibble candy. I could feel fish nibbling at the bait.
2. Loyal: She was loyal to her faith. He is loyal to his wife.
3. Moody: Eleven is a moody age. It is difficult to predict his reaction because he is so moody.
4. Plunk: She plunks herself down beside me in that swing and starts doing everything I do.
5. Wormy: Is this a wormy peach? I see something is moving inside…-_-;


Reading response journal:

Chapter 6: How does Marty feel about lying? Why do you think Judd is so mean?


He knows lying is not right, but he didn’t mean to tell a lie. He even made self-examination after Dare Lynn, his sister, warned him how serious could be the result of a liar. So he started to pray, and convinced himself. He thinks he is right, at least, he was not telling an exact lie, it’s a “ honest-to-God truth.”
Probably, the reason is the bad treatment from Judd’s father in his childhood. “ Far back as I can remember, Pa took the belt to me—big old welts on my back so raw I could hardly pull my shirt on. I stuck around. Didn’t have anyplace else to go.


Comment of Shiloh chapter six:


The ill treatment in childhood will become an incurable scar, which exists in the inner part of the grownups. And usually, people like Judd, will put those unlucky encounters down to the pets or their children. That would be the most unfortunate events. Nowadays, there are many family-violent events, which are very likely caused from those painful memories. I think the problem could be changed by good education.


Chapter 7


Vocabulary:

Parlor: She was lying on a small settee in the parlor. Is parlor a living room?
Chime: The church bells chimed. The clock chimed one o’clock.
Popsicle: Popsicles become children’s favorite in summer.
Blocks: Children play Blocks’ games in the game room.
Celery: Children usually don’t like to eat celery, but grownups do.


Reading response journal:

Chapter 7: How would you feel if you were Marty?

Marty keeps lying on people, whom he thinks had better to tell a lie. But the more he lies the new and the more problems caused. He has ever said, “ I’ll do anything for Shiloh.” Now, he is doing his promise and everything includes lying, for sure. If I were Marty, I will feel that I am innocent, because I am not doing any bad thing. Nevertheless, Marty still have to burden with the punishment from his conscience, the morality.


Comment of Shiloh chapter seven:


Guess how much does Marty love Shiloh? The answer is “ More than I can think.” When I read the last paragraph of this chapter, I was astonished by the long words:” She also told me that only people are allowed in heaven, not animals. And if I was to go to heaven and look down to see Shiloh left below, head on his paws, I’d run away from heaven sure.” I cannot but have to say that Marty loves Shiloh to dead. I am afraid of going on the story, because I may be burst into tears if I keep those touched feelings and out of my control. However, I hope the story has a happy en

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home